Saturday, July 17, 2010

Make-Me-Up

I got new makeup today, and this makes me uber-stoked. It may sound dumb, but as I have mentioned before, I am a product junkie. I love makeup, skin stuff, lotion, shampoos, and anything that promises I will look awesome with minimal effort. It's my crack. And yes, I am a feminist, and yes, I have read The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf, and heard her speak about it in person. But I am a girl, and if I have on hole-y jeans and thrift store flip flops, but have a really pretty face on and my hair is done, nobody can tell me nothin!

Since I've been doing this thing where I only purchase things when I need them
*gasp!* I haven't bought much lately. But today, I had a gift card, so I splurged.

I typically use and love Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation. Warm Beige is me. I also have the concealer in pale yellow and the under eye corrector. BUT, the Skin foundation is about $45.00, the corrector is at least $20 (if I remember correctly) and I am broke. I haven't run out of the concealer yet, but I probably won't repurchase that since it comes with a yellow setting powder underneath, and the powder settles in the lines around my eyes. (I'm only 28, so there aren't many, but it just makes me look....older than 28!)

I loved the foundation because it's the perfect color for me. But I don't think I had a good enough moisturizer, because my skin would be flaky and my foundation would settle into my face after just a few hours.

I ran out of the Skin foundation, but I had bareminerals leftover from awhile back, and in the interest of saving cash, I decided to use that up first. I used to love it, but due to my bipolar skin, I need the coverage of a liquid.

Disclaimer: My skin is weird. I have acne (rosacea with perioral dermatitis, which translates into bumpy red chin awesomeness)), and my skin is oily. BUT, I am prescribed Tazorac (which is Retinol) and antibiotic face cream, which turns my face into a desert.

So, I decided to visit the Clinique counter because it tends to be awesome for sensitive skin, and lets face it, I am poor, I had a gift card to Macy's, and Macy's does not have a Bobbi Brown counter.

I left there with a partial face makeover and three products. I plan to try them out and let you know what I think.

Foundation: even better makeup SPF 15, color: porcelain beige. It only comes in a 1 oz package, which is good because if I don't love it, I haven't made a long commitment. But the huge pro is, at this package size, it is half the price of my Bobbi Brown. I love you Bobbi, but $45 a pop is an investment.

Moisture Gel: Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. This is "a drink of water for your skin" according to the makeup lady. She says that with this, the other moisturizer will absorb better and it's a good skin prep. It was $12, so we will see. She also said this could be used as a night cream, eye cream, etc.

Moisture Mack Daddy: Superdefense SPF 25. This was not cheap at around $40.00 (but hooray gift card!) This is the thicker cream I needed, so I'm hoping that this combo will keep my skin and my makeup looking fresh all day, or at least not dry and flaking off. I will update about how it works :)

I am using Purity made simple cleanser from Philosophy, and Revele' green tea from my dermatologist (but that ish is $60 for something that goes down the drain, definitely got hosed on that purchase. It lasted a long time and was very gentle, but that's too much money for something that doesn't even stay on your skin!)Once the green tea stuff is gone, I'm sticking with my Purity.

And because I'm a nutcase:

No makeup. Nada. Zip.

I'm not super broken out right now, just a little bumpy on the chin, but I have the ever present redness.

Here's with all three products. Hmm. The Superdefense definitely smells like sunscreen, but my face feels soft!



Not dramatic, which is okay because I just want a natural fresh face. I also have on a new mascara, colossal volume express by Maybelline (made these lashes long!). I ran out of Lash Blast, and was totally meh about that mascara. I also have on my (not bad, not great)Maybelline expert wear blush in berry sorbet.

So that's my two cents (or technically, $14.08, which is want my actual cash laydown was) on my face today.

Love,

Steph :)

No comments:

Post a Comment